Saturday, July 12, 2014

Live Every Week Like It's Shark Week

Today we took a Summer Discovery trip to New York, and it was the first day we had with no itinerary. No scheduled college tours, meals, classes, guest speakers, movies...just us, and the city. 


Like the title? It's from 30 Rock. 
Guess what we saw?
We boarded the buses late (it was a pretty chill bus ride, we basically just slept, read, or listened to music the whole time), so we got to Columbia late. The Penn summer program wanted us to walk around Columbia, but we pretty much just walked to the campus, stood there for a minute, and walked back before we needed to meet for the buses to take us near Times Square. 

Julia, Maayan and I met up with Donna, Gwennie, and Isabel, another Penn Physics student who would be hanging out with us today. We walked around the city together, and it was a lot of fun. We stopped at a few places for food before we decided what everyone wanted, then we explored for a while, hitting Rockefeller Center, Times Square, NBC Studios, and Radio City Music Hall. We stopped to get frozen yogurt, and when we all met at Zachary's so long ago, I told the group that my secret talent (Mr. Hillyer asked as a getting-to-know-you question) was eating ice cream, and, I must say, I proved my talent. It was awesome. 

But, the highlight of my day was something stupid. On the bus ride back, Julia and I sat next to each other, and we both slept, but during one of the times when I was awake and she was asleep, Julia suddenly slammed her head into my chair cushion and straightened up stiffly...still asleep. I couldn't stop laughing; it was the best. 

Overall, the day was fantastic. It was really nice to have a break to just spend time with friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment