Sunday, July 13, 2014

Rest and Relaxation

This was the first day this trip that nothing was planned (actually, Donna and I had tried to sign up for ice-skating, but found that it was full already because the dates to begin signing up had been moved back without notice). Sleeping in until ten was a wonderful luxury; unfortunately it's back to 7:15 for the next six days.

The misleadingly simple-looking solar dancer
I spent a lot of my day catching up on non-required physics things--looking at the lab schedule, reading additional documents in the Physics Dropbox folder, and studying my solar dancer to figure out how it works without taking it apart. Still mostly stuck on that one. I also read some documents Bill had sent me about the Coanda Effect, and why it is a more viable explanation than the Bernoulli Effect for why airplanes can fly. The documents were very interesting, and I'm convinced that the theory that it's the Bernoulli Effect is incorrect, but I'm still not sure about the Coanda Effect.

Since Sunday is also one of the mandatory RC meeting days, my RC met with me and the other people on our floor our in the hallway at 11:30. (Why didn't we do it earlier, you ask, so that we could get to bed early? Great question, I couldn't figure it out either.) Our RC basically just spent five minutes repeating the rules she'd listed at our last RC meeting (sign in before 11:00, on your floor after 11:30, leave the door open if someone else is in your dorm room, etc.) before dismissing us. If all our RC meetings will be like that, I really don't see the point of having two per week.

It was great to have a day to relax and catch up with everything, but I'm also looking forward to Physics class tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment